Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Newest Member Of The Family


The immature Red-Shouldered Hawk finally visited my yard.  I have seen it flying with it's parents several times but it hadn't perched in my yard till today.  I believe it's a male and fledged about three weeks ago.  He was holding up one of his legs in this shot.

 
He was rudely greeted by the songbirds in my yard.  A group of American Goldfinches, House Finches, Blue Jays, Tufted Titmice, White-breasted Nuthatches took turns mobbing the youngster.  Then the Grey Squirrels joined in.  He had to switch perches a few times to avoid the group.  In the above picture, he was trying to get a better view on one of the birds harassing him.


It looks small so I think it's male though it's hard to say for sure unless I see it with one of the adults.



Here is an older shot of the proud parents.  Happy Birding and enjoy the new fledglings in your area!



No comments:

Post a Comment